Weaning and Weekend Wandering

Oi!
What an incredible two weeks we've had.

I've weaned my child.  Weaned I say!  I have achieved independence.  I will say that I was hella worried about this moment and it did kind of just sneak up on me.  It wasn't some magical thing where I looked down at her and thought... "this will be the last time."  It just happened.  We woke up, I wasn't in pain from engorgement and she wasn't insistent upon nursing in the morning and it just was over.  Just like that.  She lived, and I lived.  We moved on.  It's very very surreal. But what isn't surreal is how I have instantly changed my lifestyle.  I don't know if it's the drop in hormones or what... but I have begun being myself again.  I can't even say that I can put a finger on the change, but I want to start taking care of myself, she isn't the sole reason to get out of bed, and I care about what I put on in the morning.  My husband is also re-entering the picture.  All is much much different and the sun is shining.

She's making huge advances very quickly.  She's starting to mumble more and more sensical words like "mama" "papa" "baba" and "bye-bye."  She's walking with one hand held.  She's much more calm and less likely to freak out when you lay her down to zip up her snowsuit or take her on a car ride.  She's becoming a little person and less of a little baby.  This past weekend (in SF) I held a baby that is 5 months younger than her and it was like a different world.  Crazy how such a little time difference can shift a little person so much developmentally.

UCH! That weekend in SF.  I will say being away with a weaned baby was like a whole different world.  I didn't rush back to pump, I wasn't hormonally nuts, and I wasn't miserable without her.  It was wonderful.  I rested.  I went to yoga.  I took some time to get my nails and hair done.  I climbed with friends and slept in and had brunch.  It was a respite.  A real rest.  The first honest rest and retreat that I've had in 13 months and it was phenomenal.  I feel as if I've emerged from the baby nest and rejoined the real world to make some time with friends who I've missed even though I've seen them regularly.  The haze of baby seems as though it's behind us.

Also... seeing her this morning was incredible.  I'm very ready to be back with my little giggly and toothy girl.  Mama's ready to mama again.  :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.