The Women's March on Washington

This was an election year.

It was a very tough election if you were a minority of any sort... or a woman.

Although we technically are the majority, politically we are definitely a minority.  I've become more and more informed about this over the past few years (and this election in particular definitely hit me personally.

Apparently I wasn't alone.

Next week I will be traveling to Washington, D.C. to march with thousands of other women the day after the inauguration of Donald Trump.  The gman who pledges to "Make America Great Again" while simultaneously grabbing women by the pussy and bullying all those who are unable to stand up for themselves.

Many people ask me what I stand to gain from going to DC.  After all, I'm still nursing my son and I have two children who I need to leave in order to make this stand.  Nobody will really even know that I was there... what do I hope to achieve?

I march because I refuse to sit.  I refuse to accept this as the new normal.  I will not set an example of sitting idle when I see injustice and oppression. The irony is that my father who greatly disapproves of my marching is the example.  He organized a demonstration on the Red Square in support of Israel after the 6-day war.  That demonstration didn't accomplish anything in the real world aside from getting him kicked out of his post-graduate program and on the KGB watchlist.  But he has such pride from this moment in his lifetime.  Now, the irony is that his daughter is going to march in political opposition to his beliefs... but in the same spirit.

I know that these two days of being away won't make a huge difference in my kids' lives.  They'll be fine.  However I will be proud to have set an example for my kids, and especially my daughter.  Women are no longer bystanders who wait for results to trickle down to them and their households.  It's time for us to band together without judgement and stand up for what's right.  It's not acceptable to usher in a president who promotes a rape-culture or demeans segments of our society.  It won't be ok to push aside human rights.  It is not acceptable to cut women's health care or force women into choices regarding their own bodies.  So no... I won't be home with my kids next weekend.  But I hope that they will know that mommy went to Washington so that they could stand a little taller another day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.