Brothers vs. Sisters

Here it goes.  I'm going to rant.  It's time.

Today was the day to trigger such a thing.

The day started out very well.  Our nanny came so that I could go to my first exercise class since baby.  Went to Daily Method and tried my first Barre class.  Totally kicked my little isolated muscles. I will for sure be sore tomorrow.

Came home, ran to the shower, grabbed the baby from the nanny and sent her home.  Baby was perfect all morning.

Afternoon hits.

I'm super tired.  Not only am I waking up 3-4 times a night, I'm also dumb enough to go to a Barre class... so what did I expect?  I'm going to try to get baby to sleep so that I can nap.

Baby won't sleep.

He gets overtired so I succumb and go for a walk with the stroller.  He passes out for 30 minutes.  I think... "I'll head home, park him outside by the door and nap on the couch."  He wakes up.

I play with him a bit, nurse him, try to get him to sleep.  No dice.

Dad calls.  Tells me about how Trump is a brilliant businessman and how Hillary is a crook.  I try not to vomit in my liberal mouth while getting off the phone.  I'm really quite disappointed at the blindness following of a party line when the shmuck is a sexist, xenophobic, douchebag.

Decide to go outside to walk.  My brother calls.  Asks me about my day.  I let him know. He says "wow! that's boring" and then proceeds to tell me how he's flying with a friend on a jet to get some sushi in SF and then coming home.  Wow.  Thanks.  Next he decides to let me know that he doesn't really want to stay with us when here because he doesn't "really want to deal with all of that."   I suggest perhaps as my brother it would be nice for him to "help out with all of that."  The tone of his voice suggests utter shock, dismay, and disbelief that I would expect such a thing from an uncle.

Here's where I just lose my shit.

I have incredible friends and other folks who support me.  In fact, my father also is supportive of my at this point in my life to an incredible level.  My brother's fiancee would most certainly offer to help out.  She has a sister and is always going over there and taking the morning shift and helping out so that her sister can sleep a little, or take a shower.   I have friends who are calling and texting and checking in on me offering to do such a thing.  If I had a sister, she would be on this.  She would be super helpful.

I get the whole "I've never had kids so I don't get what you're going through thing." I get the "I'm a dude so I don't get what you're going through as a woman" thing.  But we need to do a better job informing said people of what they can do and moreover, should do when people need help.

This doesn't just apply to having kids.  It applies to folks who are sick.  It applies to the elderly who need visits.  I applies to just being supportive of your friends and family.

It is so damn easy to get so wrapped up in yourself these days and totally lose sight of the things that actually matter... the people in your life.  If your life is a series of travel and joy and tasty things and nothing else... you've missed the point.  All of those things are super important.  I love all of those things.  I love to travel.  I love to eat.  I love to be all about me occasionally.  However.  If you aren't able to stop and look around and see what others need and support them too... you are not a complete package.

I had better instill some of these values in my children.  Noah... take note.

<End Rant>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.