Baby Boy Pritzker- Birthday Story

Welp!
It's over.  Just like that.  Here's our birth story.  First- the short version with the few details for the squeamish, and then the long one with all of the nitty gritty that you can decide whether or not to read.

Baby boy Pritzker (name TBA in 8 days at Bris) was born April 30th at 12am on the dot.  Literally.  The hospital says that means it's an April 30th bday, but I feel like it could have gone either way.  :)  8lb. 2oz. Only 1 oz. heavier than his sister.  His labor however, was anything but the same.  Read on if you're not squeamish.


*************************************************************************

We got to the hospital at 10am to check in.  We were due for an induction since this little stinker hadn't made any progress in 42 weeks.  Already a whole different story from last time... where I was already transitioning and hardcore contracting.  This time...  we stopped at a bakery and Trader Joe's and bought snacks.  Drank tea, walked around Evanston for a little.  Drove to the hospital.  Took all of our stuff from the car to the parking garage.  Walked in and got checked into our room.  The tub room was taken, so we went to another one and got put on the waiting list.  They checked me.  I was still the 4cm that I was a week ago.   I got hooked up to pitocin around 1pm.  Contractions started right away about 3 minutes apart, but they were nothing to write home about.  I was able to talk through most of them and just breathe yoga style.  We watched McFarland, USA for some feel good vibes, I bounced on a ball, and time just passed in a magically quick fashion.

The pitocin was upped until we got to contractions that were about 2 minutes apart and then they said that they'd lay off so that baby's heart got a rest.  We walked, we talked, we snacked (SHHHH) and got moved to the tub room.  I have to say that the tub room wasn't available for the first 5-6 hours of our visit.  This wasn't a big deal since my contractions were still child's play... but the poor woman who was in there pushed for a solid 4-5 of those hours.  And THEN she was taken away (in a fashion that indicated to me that it was for a c-section).  Prayers to that lady.  She's a friggin' champion.

Anywho... we moved to the tub room.  We watched Roman Holiday (very sad ending).  We walked around a bit.  And they checked me around 9pm.  I was still at 4cm.  The two Sarah midwives sat me down and told me they thought it was time to break my waters.  They thought that all of these contractions weren't doing anything since the bag was probably shielding the cervix from continuing that positive feedback loop.  I agreed.  She popped my bag, and nothing happened.  I went for a walk through the fancy lobby, did some laps.  Nothing.  I sat back into the bed.  It was about 10pm.  Yan started some Netflix Judd Apatow show.  We got about 5 minutes in and I coughed.  The bag tore.  Things got real very very quickly.  I turned off the show.  We filled the tub.  Yan slow danced me through about 30 minutes of contractions.  I got in the tub around 10:45.  Yan helped me with my hips as my contractions were hella hard.  I had about 8 contractions in the tub and felt the urge to push.  They moved me to the bed at 11:54, checked me, found no cervix, and this little man was born at midnight.  6 minutes of pushing.  6.  As soon as I started pushing they told me to push hard.  Apparently, all of my kids love to lose their pulse as soon as mama starts to push.  I got the serious "push" from my midwife and immediately got serious.  That kid was in my arms by midnight.

No drugs.  One stitch. One little man who also promptly pooped upon being born.  Apgar score of 8/9.  Not bad for a day's work.  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.