The C word

Colic.

It happens to 5-25% of babies according to wikipedia.  It peaks between weeks 6 and 8.  We're at week 7... so that's a plus.

There are a million ideas out there as to why colic happens and the causes of colic... but after reading as much as I could on the topic (which is a LOT) it turns out colic is really just a fancy name doctors give to a condition known as "your kid screams a lot and we have no idea what is going on so here's a name for it."  We know every trick in the book now.  We debug our child with a series of steps.  First-diaper, second-swaddle, third-feed (if she'll latch on without me walking around the house while feeding her in the dark), fourth-assault her with white noise, fifth- carry her in the "Yan" method (on her side facing away from you), sixth-take her into the bathroom and run all taps at full gush, seventh-bounce like your life depends on it.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.

Eventually either one of us gives up and we switch or she gives up and passes out for the night.

My friends assure me that this isn't average.  My parents assure me that this is perfectly average.  I believe whoever's convenient for my personal sanity at the time.  Overall I just want someone to give us a hug and say "dear lord, this is hard... but it gets better" and most of my good friends do just that (as does my mother).  Also, if this is average the idea of having another child is somewhat insane.  I try to avoid abusive relationships, and this one is the definition.  "physically or psychologically violent re-occurring and not provoked acts, where the bully and victim have unequal physical strength or/and psychological power."  Yep.

So here's to about 6 weeks of this behind us, and only a few more until the peak of crazy.  Maybe then my eyes will stop twitching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...