Pros and Cons of Being an "Older" Mama

I'm an "old" mom.  Weird, since I don't really feel so old.  But true.  The average age of a first time mama in the US is 25.  I'm 33.  I've been thinking a lot about how this has affected me and my way of perceiving parenthood and how I act as a mama.  Let's start with the pros (since I'm an optimist).


  • I'm not constantly questioning myself about whether or not I'm doing something the "right" way.  I've heard enough of my friends say how there is no right way... and seeing how they all have different styles and have children that survived babyhood, I believe.
  • I didn't have to buy tons of stuff.  In fact I have my wonderful BFF OS to thank for that.  I inherited more stuff than any human should ever own.  
  • I'm more than willing to accept help from family and friends.  I have seen how this can make such a huge difference in mama happiness and am totally thankful for all of the support that we have.
  • I have a wealth of friends (seriously) who have been there and done that and can give advice.
  • I realize the importance of keeping my husband a priority.
  • I have a lot of "to-do" things under my belt.  I've traveled a ton, I've lived abroad, I have really lived life to the fullest up until this point.

Alrighty... here are the cons.
  • I got used to my time.  I got used to spending my own money on myself.  I loved traveling once or twice a month and buying plane tickets without thinking twice.  I was totally content in my "selfish" kind of living.  Adjusting to a little person who always needs me and my time whenever is good for her is quite a change.
  • I'm pigheaded and stubborn.  Everyone and their mother who wants to give me unsolicited advice doesn't make me stop and question... it just makes me angry.  This might be more of a personality flaw than a side-effect of age.  :)  But maybe if I was younger and less sure of myself I would be more likely to take advice from say... my cleaning lady (who gives out SO much advice).
  • Making work-life compromise is much harder when you're older and more advanced in your career.  I've worked really hard to get where I am, and now I have to rethink my professional commitments after so much time behind me.  It's tough.  Especially for a lady who never thought of herself as a "lady" but as a "professional" and loved books like Lean In.  I would love to say "this isn't just a mom makes compromises situation" but as long as I feel like breastfeeding my kid... it kinda is. 
  • I'm going to be an old mom some day.  Maybe not for this little lady... but for my next kid for sure.  And then eventually I'm going to be an old grandparent.  I have really young parents (relatively speaking) and it's amazing that they are full of energy and willing to help out always.  I hope that I'll be able to do the same someday for my little people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.