Mama Tiger

Being a mama doesn't make you always the most rational.

I have lots of helpers, but it's amazing how some days you really just want some quiet down time with your kid and you can't because of all of the helpers, and instead of you being rational and thinking "hey self! Wow! You're so lucky to have so much help!" you think "baby! mine! back away! give me baby!" and other such well-thought-out nuggets of rational thought.

I become super sensitive to criticism.  I'm not one to be this way.  I was raised by Soviet folk and always had too many relatives around to give me unsolicited advice that wasn't ever nicely phrased or politically correct.  I can react well to comments such as "you look like an overstuffed sausage in that" or "you look like you got dressed by a parrot this morning" with grace and calm.  But some days someone jokes with my child saying "wow! What was mommy thinking?" and regardless of the tone in which that comment is delivered or if it was a joke, I immediately mentally squat down and bare my teeth and get ready for battle.  "baby! mine! me! mama! shut it!" Totally sane and reasonable.  

Not sure if it makes me a Mama Tiger or a rabid baboon, but I do need to remember this entry when someday in the future my child has a child.  Note to self.  Give her space when she needs it.  Don't make jokes at her expense.  And let her have some space with her little person when she needs.  I know I'm going to forget this.  But here's my attempt to preserve this mental state.  :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.