Lilah Jane Pritzker

Today was probably the most incredible day of my life.  I became a mama! I knew that there was a baby in there,  but something about this whole experience had me doubting until the very end.  The midwife said that the look of surprise on my face was pretty unreal,  and it was.  The whole thing was unreal.
------ stop reading here if you don't want graphic details. 
Yesterday  (Friday) was our second trifecta appointment,  this time with Allison.  That girl knows how to strip membranes. She took care of business. Lilahs activity was low again during the NST, but with the help of m&ms and Yanik playing harmonica,  she woke up and we passed.  I was crampy the whole day afterwards.  We went to the movies and saw "American Hustle" (totally excellent) and then went home and hung out.  Went to sleep around 11.
I was woken up by contractions around 4:30 am. Went back to sleep,  but wasn't really able to sleep due to so many hard contractions.  I called in at 6am. Debbie called me back and told me that I needed to drink and eat and then see what happened.  Yanik got up and made me eggnog banana chocolate chip pancakes,  and we went back to sleep after things slowed down a bit.  I woke up at 9:30am, took a shower,  and got Yanik up at 10:15 afterwards.  He showered and I made him watch "love actually" with me.  I got up afterwards and as soon as I went vertical and helped Yanik make lunch my contractions got intense.  I labored at home until about 2pm, when things got real.  We called in and now it was Carrie on duty,  the one Midwife I never met.  She told me to fill our tub at home,  and try that.  We labored in our bathtub until about 3:30 when I got cold and decided I didn't want to do the drive any further on in the process. Yanik got together our things and we drove to Evanston,  where I proceeded to be the worst back-seat driver evar. Evar. :)
We got to the hospital about 4:10, they checked me and the baby and I was about 7cm. We filled the tub and I labored in there until I felt the urge to bear down.  She checked me again,  and said I was 10cm +/- 2cm. Lol.  :) Awesome.  I'm an overachiever. We got out of the tub and transitioned to the bed.  I labored over the top of the bed,  on each side,  and finally on my back, where they told me they were worried about her heart rate and they were going to set up an IV after that contraction,  I freaked internally,  bared down,  and Lilah literally shot out.  :)
She cried and promptly pooped all over me,  and stayed on my chest until about 10:30. She fed for 90 minutes straight about 30 minutes later... taking to breastfeeding well.  We've been moved upstairs now,  and Yanik is asleep as I wait for her return from the nursery so I can feed again and go to sleep. Typing this on a cell phone keyboard.  :) God bless oxytocin. 
Good night everyone!

8 lbs. 1 oz. 20 inches.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...

10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.