10 days In- Reflections, Realizations, Confessions.

Holy cow.  Parenthood.  It's here and it didn't just tiptoe in like a little kitten, it arrived with a roar and then settled into our living room and I think it might stay awhile.  I think we have a relatively easy child, but there are definitely some things that need to be written down immediately (or after 10 days, since time is something that doesn't really exist anymore).


  • They say you should never have a child to fix a marriage.  Holy crap are they right.  If I didn't like my husband, this would be a very very different and unsuccessful adventure.  This is taxing.  Straight up hard work.  I've never been one for sleep deprivation, and this is pushing it to the max.  You don't always have time/ forget to eat (if I forget to eat this is a big deal people) and you don't sleep much and you have people in and out... if you don't like your spouse, just forget about having children together.  Do yourselves both a favor.  I am blessed to have the man that was made for this... and dear lord do I appreciate him so.
  • Thanks to hashem for husbands.  Seriously.  I have a cheat.  I have a win-all.  I have breasts.  It doesn't require talent for me to calm down a baby.  It requires serious skill when it comes to a husband.  He checks You-Tube, he consults experts, he reads books and articles, he's mastered the 5 S's, he researched how to wear a sling, he approaches baby the same way he approaches a glitch in the matrix... debugging every step with patience and diligence.  And when it doesn't work he thinks "what else could I have done" as opposed to my "dear lord if this doesn't work then I swear..." God bless that man. 
  • Family and friends.  I've always been the person to be first at someone's side after they give birth asking what to bring and how to help.  We literally had to quarantine ourselves off for a full 48 hours this week to get some space and figure things out.  I have learned my lesson.  In the future I will ask... "what do you want to eat if anything, and at what time would you like this dropped off to your home on your front steps??"  or "when can I show up to wash dishes and do your laundry?"... because this is all one can do for new parents at times like these.
  • Blogging takes time, liking things on facebook doesn't.  This blogging thing is going to become much more difficult (during this entry alone I've gotten up 3 times and am now typing with a baby in cradle hold...).
  • When I was pregnant and anxious about getting her out I kept hearing "they're easier in than out" and it would irritate me to the nth degree.  To those people.  You were right.  I'm sorry.
  • And finally... amazingly enough, all of this crazy stuff is happening and then at some point at 3am you'll catch your child smirking while she makes her 17th bowel movement of the evening and somehow your crazy network of neurons will make you indescribably happy inside and all will be well in the world.  Because those smiles are what I now live for. 

Comments

  1. Welcome to the world of adulthood. The apologies R excepted. Wait 13 years and then U'll learn that now is "IN".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww great read.. . It sure is hard being a parent. I've been here for almost 9 months . Yes ur relationship will be up and down. .. But it sure gets easier after u both adjust to ur new life.. Enjoy and congrats

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What's In a Name...

Just When You Thought You Could Breathe Easy...